Sample problems are shown below.
- #4. Tom had five bags of marbles. Each bag contained the same number of marbles. If he had 40 marbles in total, how many marbles where in each bag?
- #22. Four times a number gives the same result as three times the same number increased by 9. Find the number.
- #46. Jim said, "If you take my age, double it, add 10, and then double it again, you get 52." Can you find Jim's age?
- #65. The length of a rectangle is 5 units more than its width. If the perimeter of the rectangle is 50, how long is each side?
- #77. A red toy scooter moves at a constant speed of 6 feet per second for 4 seconds. How much farther does it need to travel in order for it to go a total of 38 feet?
More advanced Level I verbal problems, as well as Level II and III verbal problems, may be found in the Hands-On Equations Verbal Problems Book.